Welcome

Another Change of Plans

KALIBU! (Welcome)

This blog was started to record my adventures in the Peace Corps as a 2-year environment volunteer. During that time I was stationed in Malawi but I had fun encounters in Mozambique, Zambia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Ethiopia and Turkey. From there this blog has spiraled into a pure Adventure Blog, with stories from my Service in Americorps NCCC, travelling and working around America as well as my experience teaching Disney English in China. Now I'm also adding stories from my Peace Corps Response position in Micronesia!

Thank you to everyone for having patience with my very sporadic posting :)

(Disclaimer: This blog does not reflect the opinions, goals or ideals of the United States Peace Corps, Americorps NCCC, FEMA Corps, Disney or any other organization. Content may not be suitable for young Children)

Sunrise Breakfast

Sunrise Breakfast
The Mnuw in Colonia, Yap

Monday, February 21, 2011

Life Lesson: Food

I would scare people back home with what I eat now. Hygiene levels, quality of food, fear of strange disease have all decreased the longer I stay in Malawi. For instance;

I have picked weevils out of my beans and ate them anyway. I have cut the "Contaminated" parts off of a loaf of bread that a mouse had used for a nightly burrow and eaten it anyway for lack of other food. Cutting off mold from potatoes and other foods is also a common practice. But anyway, enough horror.

There is a greater desperation level when it comes to eating. For instance;

Often times people warn you about choking on chicken bones in the States, but here, we eat them. With Gusto. We crunch, suck and scrape every last edible morsel.

Looking back at our early African days, I could weep for all the protein we wasted, left attacthed to our chicken, cow, goat, fish and pig bones. Not so now. I eat heartily of whatever I'm given, unashamedly crunch my bones and pick the ground up shards out of my molars with my fingers.

You become very desperate for good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment