Welcome

Another Change of Plans

KALIBU! (Welcome)

This blog was started to record my adventures in the Peace Corps as a 2-year environment volunteer. During that time I was stationed in Malawi but I had fun encounters in Mozambique, Zambia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Ethiopia and Turkey. From there this blog has spiraled into a pure Adventure Blog, with stories from my Service in Americorps NCCC, travelling and working around America as well as my experience teaching Disney English in China. Now I'm also adding stories from my Peace Corps Response position in Micronesia!

Thank you to everyone for having patience with my very sporadic posting :)

(Disclaimer: This blog does not reflect the opinions, goals or ideals of the United States Peace Corps, Americorps NCCC, FEMA Corps, Disney or any other organization. Content may not be suitable for young Children)

Sunrise Breakfast

Sunrise Breakfast
The Mnuw in Colonia, Yap

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Legends Two: Protection by Spoon

Women will place distintly femine or 'female', cooking utensils in their windows at night. These are things like and Nsima spoon, certain pots. This is an effective protection against thieves. It prevents them from entering the house.

I learned of this legend from my boss, Lughano (Means love) who is Malawian. She came to visit my site and saw a spoon in my window. She was shocked I knew the legend. Which I didnt. I merely used the spoon to prop open the shutter for my window.

I saw a use, considering I dont make myself nsima, and she saw a legend. How about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment