I sanded up the door next door. Its attacthed to my house but not 'mine', its my 'landlord's' storage closet. I was standing on my front porch with Johnathan and his young wife. They were just getting ready to leave and I was handing Nakawong my yellow Jerry can to fill with water when she freaked out, yelling,
"Njoka!" (Snake)
Dropping the an and doing a hop step away. I immediatly turn my head and catch the tail end of what appears to be a small snake scrambling under the door to the storage room. Nakawonga describes it as small and grey. A baby cobra...spitting cobra...Great, not only is it a spitting cobra but it is a young one, the worst kind because if they bite you they release all their venom because they do not have control over it yet. Just great.
What to do? I dont have a key, my landlord is not answering his phone, im scared dumb dumb Howie is going to go sniffing around and get bit, and that its going to come out and crawl into my house next. Luckily J goes next door and finds the landlord. He tells him we need the key to kill a snake. He says he will get the key but it will take three hours because he is busy and he lives far away.
SO im sitting on the wall to my porch wondering what to do. What? am I supposed to just sit on my porch for three hours starting at the door to make sure it doesnt come out??? So J gets the idea to sand up the door so itcant get out. I run inside, staring at all the rafters I share with that room to make sure it can't cross over that way. Seems safe.
I'm definatly not surprised when my lying, always late landlord shows up at 3 pm the next day. He brings two guys as 'back up.' All macho like, they open the door and go. They search around and come out in about five minutes saying,
"Palige," (Nothing.)
Of course I'm not comfortable with the whole disapearing snake act because their is the nagging worry that it made its great escape into my house. But so far no snake. I demand my landlord give me and extra key to the room. He tries to weasle out of it by saying,
"Ah, no the snake is gone, its can't come back."
I reply,
"There are other snakes and it will happen again, and next time I dont want to wait a day for you to show up and let it get away, I'll kill it myself."
He gives me the key.
So now I have lemon grass (a natural snake deterrent) planted all around my house and yard (Hopefully when I get back it wont all be dead). I'm currently trying to prevent another
"Oops, I lost the venemous snake act."
Welcome
Another Change of Plans
KALIBU! (Welcome)
This blog was started to record my adventures in the Peace Corps as a 2-year environment volunteer. During that time I was stationed in Malawi but I had fun encounters in Mozambique, Zambia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Ethiopia and Turkey. From there this blog has spiraled into a pure Adventure Blog, with stories from my Service in Americorps NCCC, travelling and working around America as well as my experience teaching Disney English in China. Now I'm also adding stories from my Peace Corps Response position in Micronesia!
KALIBU! (Welcome)
This blog was started to record my adventures in the Peace Corps as a 2-year environment volunteer. During that time I was stationed in Malawi but I had fun encounters in Mozambique, Zambia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Ethiopia and Turkey. From there this blog has spiraled into a pure Adventure Blog, with stories from my Service in Americorps NCCC, travelling and working around America as well as my experience teaching Disney English in China. Now I'm also adding stories from my Peace Corps Response position in Micronesia!
Thank you to everyone for having patience with my very sporadic posting :)
(Disclaimer: This blog does not reflect the opinions, goals or ideals of the United States Peace Corps, Americorps NCCC, FEMA Corps, Disney or any other organization. Content may not be suitable for young Children)
(Disclaimer: This blog does not reflect the opinions, goals or ideals of the United States Peace Corps, Americorps NCCC, FEMA Corps, Disney or any other organization. Content may not be suitable for young Children)
Sunrise Breakfast
The Mnuw in Colonia, Yap
Sunday, February 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment