Welcome

Another Change of Plans

KALIBU! (Welcome)

This blog was started to record my adventures in the Peace Corps as a 2-year environment volunteer. During that time I was stationed in Malawi but I had fun encounters in Mozambique, Zambia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Ethiopia and Turkey. From there this blog has spiraled into a pure Adventure Blog, with stories from my Service in Americorps NCCC, travelling and working around America as well as my experience teaching Disney English in China. Now I'm also adding stories from my Peace Corps Response position in Micronesia!

Thank you to everyone for having patience with my very sporadic posting :)

(Disclaimer: This blog does not reflect the opinions, goals or ideals of the United States Peace Corps, Americorps NCCC, FEMA Corps, Disney or any other organization. Content may not be suitable for young Children)

Sunrise Breakfast

Sunrise Breakfast
The Mnuw in Colonia, Yap

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Funny Quotes from Locals, X-pats and PCVs

1. "The best beef comes from Argentina," Adam
"Oh I would have thought it comes from Chicago." Johnathan
"Uh, Why would you think that?" C
"Chicago Bulls." Johnathan

2. "Giant Damn Duck of Doom." PCV

3. "Its not all beer and Skittles." Mick

4. "Why do they have (neck) ties tied around their waists?" C
(At our village welcoming ceremony people, men and women in seprate groups began dancing. The men were gyrating their hips in a way that would make shakira proud with chitenges and ties tied around their waists. Ties dangled in front chitenges (like the women) on the back)
"....(Trying to find words) Because their happy." Villager

5. "In the states your either a smoker or an anti-smoking activist. SO much propoganda goes into the for or against tobacco that it is obvious we are obsessed one way or the other. I dont smoke and dont support smoking. However, here tobacco really is a way of life. I have walked in the fields, the lime green, sticky stalks over my head, filtering the light. I have stood in the drying huts, watched old men tie bales of tobacco by hand. I've helped them cultivate it... And I have seen the falling pay the farmers recieve. I have seen the poverty. Can I condon a way of life?" C

6. "I was excremated. I mean, I was excommunicated." Language trainer

7. "A healer must dress sharp and look the part so people dont think he's a witch." L.T

8. "Er...hey Johnathan, did you put chocolate ice cream on your rice?" C
"Yes, I was very excited and wanted to try everything!" J
"SO...did you think it was a sauce?" C
"Yes?" J
"Hows it taste?" C
"Hm...not so good." J
"You see how its cold? And your rice is hot? Well its a dessert, you eat it by itself." C
"Oh...ok."J
"You want to try it?" C
(Makes a face) "Ehh.."J
"Your trying it." (Retrieves bowl of plain ice cream) "Hows it taste?" C
"WONDERFUL! This is so much better!" J

No comments:

Post a Comment