Welcome

Another Change of Plans

KALIBU! (Welcome)

This blog was started to record my adventures in the Peace Corps as a 2-year environment volunteer. During that time I was stationed in Malawi but I had fun encounters in Mozambique, Zambia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Ethiopia and Turkey. From there this blog has spiraled into a pure Adventure Blog, with stories from my Service in Americorps NCCC, travelling and working around America as well as my experience teaching Disney English in China. Now I'm also adding stories from my Peace Corps Response position in Micronesia!

Thank you to everyone for having patience with my very sporadic posting :)

(Disclaimer: This blog does not reflect the opinions, goals or ideals of the United States Peace Corps, Americorps NCCC, FEMA Corps, Disney or any other organization. Content may not be suitable for young Children)

Sunrise Breakfast

Sunrise Breakfast
The Mnuw in Colonia, Yap

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sling Shot

SO my family sent me a sling shot. I requested on of those cool ones with the wrist support that really make the rocks fly. I figured I could use it to scare of goats...and children from my house;) In my spare time I will have to practice since I'm not so used to sling shots. I got the inspiration to order one because the children make them and use them so I figured they could relate to seeing a American one.

Lets just say the kids think its AWESOME! They were impressed when i shot a dirt clod across the street, up the embankment and hit the front of the house across the way, exploding the dirt clod! Their little jaws were hanging open!

My Counterpart Johnathan knew about the sling shot and thought it was really cool....after he figured out that the wrist brace goes on your wrist and you don't just hold it by the handle sideways and wing it.

Anyway, the next day were are sitting on my porch when we see a spitting cobra pop its head out from the door of the spare room. Johnathan just kinda looks over and says, do you still have that sling shot.

I get up to get it saying, yeah, but if you think you can kill it with that you have got to be crazy. He has never shot my sling shot before, also, the amount of head sticking out from the door is maybe an inch big, and we are like ten twelve feet away.

He very matter of factually scoops up a rock, very very very briefly aims....and just barely misses the snake! I was impressed, needless to say.

The end.

Haha just kidding. I have to go dig around in the house for my spare key I forced my landlord to give me in situations like this. J unlocks the door and goes in to kill the snake. Of course im standing up on the porch side looking over at the door. J kills the snake and sweeps it outside...its still flexing and flipping. Im like J its still moving!

Of course he continues to poke it further out saying yeah, but do u see how smashed u the head is??? Its dead. All I did was shake my head and say,
"You do know that how most people get bit? By thinking they killed it?"
Johnathan just laughs. It is about two feet long and a cobra.

Johnathan says that it spat at him but he was safe because he spit back at the cobra as he was trying to kill it. Malawians believe that if you spit at a cobra while he spits at you, the venom will not find you. BUT, if you look the snake in the eyes, his venom will find your eyes and blind you. I'm thinking....Great a Johnathan and Cobra venom fest just occurred in the spare room.

So I watched the snake writhe and twist slowly as it continued to fade into the darkness of death. As we did so, I asked Johnathan what he does when he is bit. He said first he would make a cut and remove the fang because it continues to release venom. Then, if he gets it out ast, he is fine, maybe just sick for a day or two. After a pause I simply said,

"If I get bit. I would like to go to the hospital..."

No comments:

Post a Comment