Welcome

Another Change of Plans

KALIBU! (Welcome)

This blog was started to record my adventures in the Peace Corps as a 2-year environment volunteer. During that time I was stationed in Malawi but I had fun encounters in Mozambique, Zambia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Ethiopia and Turkey. From there this blog has spiraled into a pure Adventure Blog, with stories from my Service in Americorps NCCC, travelling and working around America as well as my experience teaching Disney English in China. Now I'm also adding stories from my Peace Corps Response position in Micronesia!

Thank you to everyone for having patience with my very sporadic posting :)

(Disclaimer: This blog does not reflect the opinions, goals or ideals of the United States Peace Corps, Americorps NCCC, FEMA Corps, Disney or any other organization. Content may not be suitable for young Children)

Sunrise Breakfast

Sunrise Breakfast
The Mnuw in Colonia, Yap

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Toilet Interpretations

I'm not sure if I already told you this story but I recently returned to Liwonde Game Reserve and it reminded me of this incident. Last year at Liwonde, I participated in the Game count, walking through the park in grid patterns and counting animals. It is a lot of fun. Part of the excitement is that we camp inside the literal park. The only downside with this arrangement is that we have to use the pool showers and toilets inside the resort. This is only inconvenient because it is not right next to us, the facilities are nice and clean.

One day I entered the bathroom and was immediately assailed with the site of a Malawian woman standing inside of a open bathroom stall. I paused and stared because I was so shocked. This woman was holding up her young daughter so she could stand on the toilet seat and squat, as if this nice porcelain, flush-able toilet was a common pit latrine. I was also shocked that she just turned her head and gave me a small smile, totally unconcerned about my witnessing her and her daughter using the bathroom. I felt amused yet disappointed and a bit angered that this woman and her child were incapable or refused to use the toilet as it was meant to be used. My anger probably came from the fact that I was so happy to be using such nice facilities and was shocked that a woman, in a clearly bwana (upscale) place, would still stick to those traditional actions.

Then I remembered staying at another rest-house and seeing a sign in all the bathrooms,
PLEASE DO NOT STAND ON TOILETS in both English and Chichewa with a lovely picture of a stick figure squatting on the toilets and a few well placed dashes between the figure and the toilet bowl.

Ah Malawi

No comments:

Post a Comment