Welcome

Another Change of Plans

KALIBU! (Welcome)

This blog was started to record my adventures in the Peace Corps as a 2-year environment volunteer. During that time I was stationed in Malawi but I had fun encounters in Mozambique, Zambia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Ethiopia and Turkey. From there this blog has spiraled into a pure Adventure Blog, with stories from my Service in Americorps NCCC, travelling and working around America as well as my experience teaching Disney English in China. Now I'm also adding stories from my Peace Corps Response position in Micronesia!

Thank you to everyone for having patience with my very sporadic posting :)

(Disclaimer: This blog does not reflect the opinions, goals or ideals of the United States Peace Corps, Americorps NCCC, FEMA Corps, Disney or any other organization. Content may not be suitable for young Children)

Sunrise Breakfast

Sunrise Breakfast
The Mnuw in Colonia, Yap

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Lessons in Witchcraft 3

Along the shores of Lake Malawi there are many people that depend of fishing for a living. Most men carve out their canoes from huge trees they have chopped down and spend days whittling out the center. There canoes are often very unstable and leak. Every night these men gather their mended and re mended nets, some use mosquito nets and set out a few kilometers from shore. Their paraffin lanterns bob in a ragged line as far as the eyes can see. They cast their nets, lean back, and wait for morning. Sometimes these fishermen pull up more that fish in the mornings. In Nkhata Bay, a group of men hoisted up their nets and found a naked man demanding to be taken to shore. The men asked the man how he had come to be so far from shore, naked, in the early hours of the morning. The man said,
“I am a witch, I was flying as I do most nights, but a more powerful witch cursed me and I fell from the sky.”
The fisherman brought the man to shore and called the authorities. The police arrived and questioned the man, and people gathered around to hear his story of witchcraft. The police took him to jail for witchcraft.
The lesson:
There is always a more powerful wizard around than you. So when your flying around naked in the middle of the night, bring a parachute.

No comments:

Post a Comment