After sharing a dinner of seafood and bean curd soup at our favorite Chinese restaurant, The Green Restaurant, in Lilongwe, Adam and I decided to call it quits early and head to the Budget Lodge to go to sleep. We decided to cut through the Ali Baba’s lot, through to Kips restaurant and out the back to our lodge.
We open the first gate and close it behind us, holding hands, our guard up as we cut through the dark alley between Ali Baba’s and Kips. I see it first; from around the balcony corner about two feet away, a white thing comes from the darkness and starts rising up. I jump and stop. I feel Adam’s grip tighten on my arm as he feels my reaction. Just as I’m recognizing it’s a huge German shepherd with a white muzzle on, Adam’s having trouble figuring out why I jumped and he is simultaneously jumping behind me and pulling me along in a serious of jerks that makes my heart palpitate. Our hearts racing, he finally realizes it’s a dog, AND it’s tied up, growling ominously at us. We tumble back out into the lights, shaking and laughing. Adam curses.
The security guards who watched us walk that way are laughing and saying, “Sorry, sorry, sorry!” as we walk past them they add, pointing to the other side of the building, “You can go this way.” Thanks.
As we round that corner we see three other Peace Corps volunteers. They ask us if we want to go to the bar around the corner for a drink. Adam and I look at each other and then say in unison, “Yeah, we do.”
No comments:
Post a Comment