Welcome

Another Change of Plans

KALIBU! (Welcome)

This blog was started to record my adventures in the Peace Corps as a 2-year environment volunteer. During that time I was stationed in Malawi but I had fun encounters in Mozambique, Zambia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Ethiopia and Turkey. From there this blog has spiraled into a pure Adventure Blog, with stories from my Service in Americorps NCCC, travelling and working around America as well as my experience teaching Disney English in China. Now I'm also adding stories from my Peace Corps Response position in Micronesia!

Thank you to everyone for having patience with my very sporadic posting :)

(Disclaimer: This blog does not reflect the opinions, goals or ideals of the United States Peace Corps, Americorps NCCC, FEMA Corps, Disney or any other organization. Content may not be suitable for young Children)

Sunrise Breakfast

Sunrise Breakfast
The Mnuw in Colonia, Yap

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mulanje Mountain

So even though I believe the North is the best place to be in Malawi, the far south is almost as nice.
:)


We travelled down (It takes three days) to site visit some friends and hike Mulanje Mountain.


The site visit was a little hectic. We Met up with Bri in Blantyre then decided to stay the night at Amy's house. Amy was away but Bri is her site mate and we had permission to stay int he house. We get to the village and trek to her house. We discover that even though we have the key, she has left the spare in the Key hole so we are locked out. Night is falling and we have no where else to go. Amy's night watchman shows up and decides he can get us in. He gets some kids to try and stick their arms in the rather large gap between the door frame and the wall. But no dice. We also feared the kids were going to get stuck. How would you explain that to a Malawian Mother? "Oh sorry, we were trying to break into our friends house and your child had skinny arms?"
So the Night Watchman takes a panga knife to the brick around Amy's door frame. As were shouting "No!" It's already done. He reached in and unlocks the door. All we can do is say "Thanks" and go inside.
Its dark, so we scramble around for candles and find one dinky stub. There is no food in the house and Bri warns us not to fall in the "Big Hole" if we go to the chim. Luckily were so exhausted we just pass out on the floor.

Day One:
The next morning we proceed to climb the mountain. Adam and I are going to Hike for three days, stay at two different huts. Adam is a 'Mountain Man' and doesn't want a porter or a guide. At last we settle for a porter who can 'double' as a guide. We bargain and get this great deal. Then when we are supposed to leave he bails out with our money and sends someone else in his place (Trying to rip off both us and this other porter). We work out the details (which include this dude getting his money from the other one.) He is this young boy who has a steady, plodding pace. He carried Adam's heavy pack and Adam carries my smaller pack. It takes us a full day to trek up the sometimes vertical side of this mountain. Its hot, were all pouring sweat and only munching on some sparse travel food we have. Our water runs out and a few times I stop on the verge of tears hating my life. We make it to the first hut just after dark. We make plain pasta (John (another PCV) has given us the keys to the cabin so we can use the cooking utensils and what not). As the fire is boiling, the watchman heats water for a bath for us and I buy to two dusty fantas that are sitting on the self (just waiting to be drank.) They are warm so I go and put them in the cold mountain creek by the hut. (Hidden of course). The bafa water is warm but not enough and the mountain air is freezing. That night we curl cup in our sleeping bags on two flimsy pads on the floor.

Day Two: This is a hike from one hut to another (So I thought.) Its still dark when we begin our hike. We chew on raw oats for breakfast. In the cool of the morning I feel great, hiking out in front of the others, taking my jacket off (Which Adam yelled at me about cause he said I would get sick from sweating in the cold.) As the sun rises, so my pace decreases. We get to the second hut alot faster than we planned. Now we are at the base of Supitwa, which is like the third highest peak in Southern Africa. Of course Adam wants to climb it NOW. So we drop our packs at the hut and proceed to the base of Supitwa, which translates to "Don't Go There.' Oh...we went there.

Supitwa is mainly a vertical climb up a rock face, you have to scale several peaks to get to Supitwa including circling around the back sides of other Peaks. After cresting and descending we relax in at the cabin. An English family had just recently vacated and a couple were our only company that night. Not that we interacted much, for the most part other parties we met stayed to themselves. Adam and I were 'roughing it' anyway. We only had one porter/guide. We brought very little food and would eat plain pasta, or dry pasta, cooked or uncooked oats and so on. We did not have a lot with us. It was nice however that at eat hut there was a guard or two and most often they stared an hearth fire for us. Helped keep up warm, let us heat up bathing water and cook food.

Day Three:
The next day we head to Bri's site after climbing down the mountain. Going down is alot easier than going up for me so alot of the time I was off bounding ahead, practically jumping down the mountain. We stop at a water fall a few kilo-meters before we reach the bottom of the mountain. Both Adam and our guide strip to their undies and go for a dip. Now I was hot and sweaty but I cooled off sufficiently just sitting there. I have never been very inclined to jump into very cold water. I don't like shocks to the system like that. Anyway, I sat and watched the bags. Of course Adam ridiculed me for not jumping in and I only regretted it a little bit. But the though of hiking the rest of the way in soggy underwear helped steal me to my choice. We drop off our guide and hitch back to Mulanje boma. From there we hitch to the road block at the Mozambique border.

Next we take a half hour bike taxi to her house. Our bikers are sweating, sometimes, standing on the pedals barely moving uphill, almost tipping over. Our huge packs are causing our butts to dig even harder into the racks we're sitting on and cause us to go super slow. Yet Adam and I's bikers are still trying to compete. I cannot be sure but I believe Mine won. Bri has a wonderful view of the plantation tea fields that the south is famous for. Rising up from their vibrant green is Mulanje mountain, shrouded in cloud cover. We enjoyed a day together than hiked back to the Road block and hitched to Blantyre. (making a brief stop in Amy's village to pick up our things).


I could say our adventure ended here...but it didn't really. Mulanje Mountain was done but Liwonde Game Count was just starting.

No comments:

Post a Comment